Pathway Study to Permanent Residency

Most international students have a great urge to immigrate to Canada once their studies are finished. To achieve this goal they will need at least 1 year of Canadian work experience. Some students will use their Canadian education points towards their Federal Skilled Worker application while the other through the Canadian Experience class after they complete their studies , often through PGWP.

The CEC is immigration category which allows the individual to immigrate to Canada if they have 1 year of Canadian work experience this class is popular option to immigrate to Canada for international students . With the advantage of not showing the funds and lesser time period .

The government of Canada also recognizes after having an year work experience one has totally adapted to the Canadian culture and therefore is willing to settle here permanently.

Qualified candidates must make an EOI and create an online express entry profile  and receive the invitation to apply for PR before they make an application

CEC applicants must:

  • Have obtained at least one year of skilled , professional or technical work experience in Canada within 36 months of the application date;
  • Meet the minimum required Canadian Language Benchmark of 5 or 7 depending on the level of the job;
  • Plan to live and work outside of the province of Quebec; 
  • Not be inadmissible in Canada.

One has to stay in canada while the application processing period . Though one can remain out of canada but must have left the job within three years before applying for CEC.

In case the applicant is on work permit whose duration comes to an end than they may apply for bridging open work permit .As it will allow them to work till the application is in process.


Self-employment and work experience gained as a full time student does not count under this program . The work experience must be gained after graduation and on a valid work permit, such as the PGWP . any work performed in an unpaid internship capacity also will not count as valid work experience.

We at Swagat Immigration can help you apply for any of these visas. Call us at +(416)-939-3131 or email us at :