A Canadian travel document is for a permanent resident who is traveling outside Canada and does not have a valid PR Card to return to Canada.
It is issued to PR abroad to act as proof for the transportation company that the holder is entitled to re-enter Canada as a PR.
Eligibility to apply for travel document:
- you are a PR
- you do not have a valid PR card showing your PR status
- you are outside Canada
- you will return to Canada by a commercial vehicles airplane, boat, train, or bus
- you have lost your PR card and you need proof of your status to return to Canada
Before issuing a travel document, the Canadian immigration visa officer must be able to confirm, from the documents submitted:
- the identity of the applicant
- that the applicant was once a Canadian PR
- must be satisfied that the applicant has complied with the residency obligation of Canadian permanent residents.